Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Toilet Learning and Public Outings

Today we went to our multiple play group to hang out with all the other twins and their mums and dads. During this outing I made the conscious decision to take A & G to the toilet. The play group is held at a local church and they have a toilet for wee people. I went over to A, said "potty time." Then I went to G, and said the same, "potty time".



The Detour. Go Baby Go,
Bounce and Swing Zebra
A followed me and G eventually came along as well. We had a few distractions (the container of musical toys and a set of drums) and a detour which included a side trip to two Fisher and Price Go Baby Go, Bounce and Swing Zebras along the way. I had to go to G and gently touch her on the shoulder and remind her that it was potty time.

We made it to the the toilet door and navigated the two heavy doors to get into the toilet cubical.  Both A & G had the opportunity to sit on the toilet. Unfortunately, they didn't feel the need to go, but I still feel it was a success. Having them them follow me to the toilet for potty time as they do at home warmed my heart. It also highlights to me how important it is to be consistent in the way we do things at home when we are out. There is no doubt that it is more convenience for me to let them go toilet in a nappy, but I feel we have some momentum here and they are/will learning and growing from the experience. These moments are also rich for my soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment