Friday, May 11, 2012

Book Display Shelves



It has been a very busy week. Time seems to be slipping through my fingers! I've spend most of last week and this week researching two topics, bookshelves and modern cloth nappies.

This write up is on bookshelves. I really, really, really want a front facing display book shelf. I want. I'm almost, no I am obsessed with finding the perfect display book shelf, one where the book covers face outwards. The advantage of a front facing bookshelf is the book covers are on display and thus young people are attracted to the books, consequently encouraging reading and more importantly returning the books.

Here are my requirement
  • able to display front covers
  • free standing - we are renting and I don't want to put holes in the walls
  • durable -  can handle the knocks and bumps it's likely to encounter.
  • ageless - should age well and not look out of date 5 years from now. Also neutral color (not gender specific.)

My finding so far are in the picture above and below is a summary.

Œ

Imaginarium Book Library $59.99 available at Toys R Us

Wooden Book Storage Organiser $49.99 available at Toys R Us
Ž
Junior book display. I love this book display and it would be prefect for our living area, unfortunately sold out and I haven’t found a similar design available for purchase in Australia.


Book display. Sloped book display shelves on one side and deep shelving on the other side. I like the idea of wheels, makes it easy to move and clean underneath. I have no idea the cost of this. But it looks sturdy and well made. I imagine this would last forever. Made by TP Preschool Equipment . Website http://www.tppreschoolequipment.com.au


Double side book display. Good if you have lots of books, unfortunately sold out as well. Website http://www.teaching.com.au

&


6 & 7 Similar to number 4 except no wheels.  Number 6 shows the shelves and number 7 the book display. Available from http://www.teaching.com.au

Wire book display stand. Available from http://www.wooldridges.com.au

So far I'm thinking maybe number 6 & 7‘’.
Shelving I would have considered if we weren't renting.
If we weren't renting a google search showed loads of wonderful parent's who have used clever ideas to create display shelving for books, for example

  • Ikea spice racks in this Montessori bedroom here
  • Rain Gutter book shelf here
  • Recycled Wood Pallet Shelving here
  • DIY project - Flat wall book shelves here

I showed my husband another picture (not the one I've linked to on this page) where someone had used Ikea spice racks to display books from knee height to eye level of an adult. I thought it was wonderful and very clever. He said "that's a neat climbing frame." It never occurred to me that it might serve another purpose. I'm also fairly confident at least one of my little people would see a climbing frame as well.

Anyway check out this website if you want inspiration for children's bookshelves.

No comments:

Post a Comment