Monday, November 5, 2012

Just for me

 
This post is not related to Montessori or raising twins. This post is about me and something that I do that is purely and selfishly for me.

In life we wear many hats, daughter, sister, aunt, best friend, employee, employer, business partner, lover, wife, mother, husband, father, teacher, the list is every growing. I believe it is important (for me) to undertake an activity that is does not involve my children or husband.

I often wonder, am I the only one who has taken a tiny bit of time for myself. What do other people do? Do they run? Go to the gym? Attended yoga or zumba classes? Just quietly all these activities for me would still be linked to the children, as a endeavour to shed the last few stubborn kilos, or to reduce the gap (aka Diastasis recti) that some multiple mums might be more than familiar/obsessed with.  So readers, what do you do that is just for you?


What do I do you ask? Every Monday night I attend woodworking classes. I started woodworking classes pre-children and had to stop attending when I was about 3 months pregnant. I rejoined when A and G were about 8 months. The classes are held at night and I wanted to ensure that I would not be too tired to use the machinery.

I love wood working. I enjoy taking a rough piece of timber and creating something beautiful. I love the wood grain, beauty and uniqueness that only nature can create. I love taking timber and turning it into something useful.  I love the learning even more.

Each of the pictures in this post features my latest woodworking creation. A side cupboard, currently in our dinning area. I already have a home picked out for it in our new house (when it is eventually built.) I still have to fit the handles. At the moment I have decided to leave the handles off. This makes the cupboard and draw very child proof!


 
The wood grain is amazing. In case you wanted to know the lighter wood is American White Ash and the darker wood is Teak. I have loads of custom built projects I want to make for our new house, including tables, chairs and shelving for wee people.

No comments:

Post a Comment